Traveling with a digital camera

Traveling with a digital camera is not as simple as going for a trip with a conventional camera. With a conventional camera, all you need to do is to carry some extra film rolls and get some more when you run out of them. A digital camera has a fixed storage capacity and you can only add to it by buying expensive flash memory cards.

It therefore makes sense to carry a notebook computer – if you have one -- and transfer the pictures to it periodically to free the badly needed camera memory. You can also preview the pictures and decide if you want to want to erase them, e-mail them, or post them on the web. If your notebook computer has a CD writer then you can transfer the images to a CD. You can even carry a small printer and print the images, or have them printed at a shop that provides this service.

If you don’t want to carry a notebook, you can transfer images directly to a portable hard drive. This is a battery-powered, palm-sized device that may come with or without a monitor.

You can also transfer pictures to a Clik! drive, which is a portable storage device, powered by a rechargeable battery. Once the images have been transferred to the Clik! drive, you, you can free up space on your flash memory card by erasing the images. When a Clik! disc gets filled you can replace it with another one, which may cost you $10. Once you return from the trip, you can transfer the images to your computer.

In the US, the power supply is 110 volts and 60 Hz, whereas when you travel overseas, the voltage may be 220 volts and 50 Hz. The wall outlets may also be different. You will need an adapter kit, to plug in your notebook computer, AC adapter, or battery charger.

A transformer is suitable for use with electronic devices. A converter can be used with electrical appliances like hair driers. It can harm devices over time and should not be used for more than a few hours. Transformers can be used for longer periods, though they tend to be heavier.

If you are planning to use a modem, you need to find out about the type of adapters that are used in the country, where you are going. While hiking, canoeing, or sailing, you will need a solar-powered battery charger, to recharge your batteries.

Your digital camera, laptop computer, flash cards, audio and video tapes, floppy discs and films will remain unharmed by the X-ray machines installed at airports. However, a metal detector may harm magnetic media like Clik! Discs. Please keep this in mind while traveling by air.

© Copyright 2023 Diversified Technologies  508-760-3758
Cape Cod, MA 02664
Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Contact us
Also visit