Magellan has a footprint both in US and Europe
Magellan, which is the consumer products brand of Thales Navigation, is one of the world's leading developers and manufacturers of GPS devices and guidance equipment. The company is relatively young having been founded in 1986. However, its products are in great demand across US and Europe.
Magellan increased its range of GPS products when it acquired Ashtech, a leader in the professional GPS category, in 1997. Following the merger Magellan Systems came to be known as Magellan Corporation. In 2001, Magellan Corporation was acquired by Thales, an electronics company with a significant presence defense, aerospace and information technology.
The following are the more popular products that Magellan makes:
1. Magellan RoadMate series: This is a very useful navigation device for Europeans. The customers get a GPS navigation and on-the-go multimedia, full color touch screen, pre-loaded detailed maps of European countries, 3D bird's eye map view, automatic re-route calculation, smart detour routes and route optimization and a built-in music player and photo viewer.
2. Magellan eXplorist series for North America: This product has been developed for North America. It has a color backlit display, unlimited memory using optional secure digital cards, large color screen and high-speed USB data port to quickly download maps or data. Some of the devices in this series have built-in maps, electronic 2-axis compass, barometric pressure altimeter, barometer, and thermometer, and built-in Geocaching application.
3. Magellan eXplorist XL Europe series: This GPS device has been created for Europeans and consists of a large color screen in a rugged GPS handheld, extra large color backlit display, 30 MB internal memory and unlimited memory using optional secure digital (SD) cards for downloading.
4. Meridian series: The Meridian devices have full color display, unlimited memory expandability, 16 MB built-in maps in a rugged, waterproof handheld GPS receiver.
5. Maps and Software: Magellan also provides detailed maps from MapSend to make GPS navigation easier.
All these products have made Magellan a major player in the GPS market. The company, however, does not take its position lightly. It continues to innovate, and keeps upgrading its products. The company's sales team is backed by a highly efficient customer service team which makes sure that Magellan's customers are satisfied.